Thursday, October 14, 2010

1 week follow up on Bart





I've had a few people ask me how I got Bart's name! Since he was found on Barton Rd. I came up with 'Bart'!

Okay so back to the 1 week update! :) He is doing really good! I can see a little weight gain...his ribs don't seem so prominent and his belly looks more full. The weight gain on the back bone, hips & butt will take the longest. He loves to eat and knickers at us everytime we come near him. He even trots around his stall. He's not real social and doesn't really want to be loved on. He just wants his food and to be left alone! ;)

I got some great information of Refeeding a starved horse from a lady who contacted me through the first email I sent out. After reading the article I decided to take away the grain, beet pulp, & carrots that I initially was giving him. All those goodies can cause liver, kidney, & heart failure rather quickly. So for now he is getting several small feedings of soaked alfalfa hay & pellets. In a few weeks I can slowly add back in the goodies.

Above are pictures taken today. I also took some pictures to show the difference of a 'normal' horses hind end compared to Bart's hind end (below). There is soooo much muscle & fat loss there.

Our roan mare (left) Bart (right)

Special thanks to everyone who has donated to Bart!
Dwayne-horse blanket
Tony-pellets, grain, wormer, & carrots
Wade & Michiko
Teri D
Debbie @ Heavenly Acres
Maureen
Georgania
Gina-coupons from Kruse
Allison & Brown
Lea
Don & Libby-carrots & grain
Matt & Kim S
Kim B & Dually
Dad
Mrs. Sullivan

No comments: