Thursday, October 7, 2010

Newest Rescue Horse "Bart"




On 10/5/10 I rescued a horse found roaming free in my neighborhood. Neighbors of mine actually found him (on Barton Rd) and were walking him back to their house. I was driving my son to school when I saw them and stopped to ask what was going on...which I already new the answer too based on his condition...he was dumped off! My neighbors were going to call Animal Control to have him picked up. I was pretty confident that he would be put down based on how skinny he is. So I decided to take him in.

Now I will back track a bit. The neighbors that found him Tuesday morning actually had seen him at a home in our neighborhood while they were on a trail ride. When I initially approached my neighbors on the street there was another man on horseback there, persumabley from this house in question. He stated he had 'found' this horse the day before and either had called or was going to call Animal Control. Once I said I would take him he left and I didn't think anything of it. When my neighbors got back to my house with "Bart" they told me they had seen this horse the night before and think he was set free on purpose. They think someone at the house saw them looking over the fence at "Bart" and decided they better get rid of him. There are other horses & small animals at this house. My neighbors said the horses were skinny but not as skinny as Bart and she would be calling animal control about what they saw and what happened to Bart. I also have a call into Animal Control.

Once I got Bart settled in a stall I offered him hay and he immediately started eating. Later that day I offered him apples and he loved those too. I had the vet out the same day I got him, Oct. 5. He did a overall health check and said despite being so skinny he is healthy. He has a heart murmur but felt it was from lack of nutrition and would most likely resolve as he gains weight.
The vet estimates his age between 25-27! He does need his teeth floated but I will wait till he gains some weight & strength. Normal temp, good gut sounds, pooping & urinating, good appetite, feet are in decent shape, pretty flexible for his age & condition.....his recovering looks very promising!!! :)

I sent out a mass e-mail Tuesday night asking for donations for his vet & feed expenses. The response has been awesome! I have received so many e-mails with offers to donate money & food, mostly from people I don't even know! I'm so touched at the generosity that has been shown so far! My husband clients' have been equally generous as well as my family, friends, & neighbors...THANK YOU!!!!

Today has been Day 2 of Bart's arrival and he continues to thrive! He seems like a sweet old guy! He constantly wants to eat and knickers every time we check on him! It's so tempting to just load him up with hay & grain but I know we need to introduce food slowly so we don't run into any problems like colic!

Here are pictures of him currently....soooo sad, I know! :( This is not how a horse of his age should be treated!

I will update weekly with pictures to show his progress. Stay tuned...........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Kim, that is unbelievable that you were able to get somuch info on him. We enjoyed seeing Sandy gain strength and weight in your care and couldn't believe that he made it. Let's keep praying for Bart that he will gain weight and strength and keep the donations coming. You are very compassionate caregivers.Notmany people would do what you do. Your neighbors, Lib and Don

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,


These pictures make me want to cry for Bart. Thanks to you and Chris for generously opening your home to him. You are both awesome!

Kim and Dually