Friday, September 26, 2008

Update on stray dogs!

I kinda have good news! I got the chance to take the lab to the vet today to have him scanned for a microchip and sure enough he has one!! I was so excited to be able to return him to his owner.

The vet clinic made contact with the registered owner of the lab named "Hawk". This gentleman had given him away and gave us a phone number of owner #2. Owner #2 had given him away and gave us a phone number for owner #3. Owner #3 had given him away too! My heart sank!! So owner #3 gave us a number for Owner #4! I was starting to realize no one wanted this poor dog! We made contact with the daughter of Owner #4. The daughter said she came home from school and the dog was gone but her mom was thinking about giving the dog away anyways! Yeah right, I thought! The daughter gave us a number for her mom where we also left a message. At that point I realized this dog was definitely not wanted! So I left the vet's office with the conclusion it was going to be up to me to find homes for the dogs. I was pretty sure that the golden retriever was from the same owner. They showed up together and seemed bonded!

I ran an errand and stopped back by the vet's office to find out if they could find out how old "Hawk" is. The receptionist told me that Owner #3 called back and was willing to take Hawk back! I was thrilled! I made contact with Owner #3 and we set up a meeting spot. I asked her about the golden retriever and she said that she had given both dogs to Owner #4 because she was no longer able to keep them. When the dogs saw her they went crazy with excitement! I asked her if she was able to take care of them. She said she really wasn't able to keep them but did not want them abandoned or roaming the streets. She told me the lab is papered but not the golden retriever "Duke". I told her I would help her find homes for them. A friend of mine knows of a golden retriever rescue so we may be able to help that one. I would think the lab would be easy to place too. I was a little hesitant to give them back to her but I do think she will take care of them for as long as she can. I told her if she becomes desperate in getting rid of them to call me and I'll take him back.

Right after the vet tech scanned him and a chip # popped up I was really thinking someone was going to get a great call saying their loved one had been found and their worry's would be over. Unfortunately that was not the case. Owner #4 lives several miles from me and I guess it's possible but I have a hard time believing the dogs traveled the distance from their home to mine!

Does anyone want to adopt a dog? :)

No comments: